This recipe is adapted from:
1 cup Split red lentils, rinsed
2 cups Water
31/4 cups Rolled oats
3/4 cup Gluten Free All purpose flour (Cloud 9 works well. If you are not gluten free try whole wheat or spelt flour)
1/4 cup Ground flax seeds
1/4 cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup Walnuts
1/2 cup Almonds and Cashews, chopped
1/4 cup Hemp seeds
2/3 cup Peanut butter (no added salt, sugar, oil)
1/2 cup Honey
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
2 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup Carob or chocolate chips (if you want the whole bar to be chocolately, add to warm lentils and it will melt chocolate or carob. You could also try adding in dried fruit instead of, or in addition to the carob or
1. Put water and lentils in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350F
3. Stir to combine oats, flour, flax, coconut, walnuts, almonds, cashews, hemp seeds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
4. In another bowl combine lentils, peanut butter, honey, maple syrup, and vanilla.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well. Add carob or chocolate chips.
6. Transfer to greased (I used coconut oil) 9" x 13 " casserole dish and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Looking for more ideas to eat on the go? Contact Jill, Nurture The Future's Registered Dietitian at firstname.lastname@example.org