2 cups red lentils
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper (orange or red, finely diced)
6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 can tomatoes (28oz or 796ml) and juice (choose salt free tomatoes)
6 cups vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk (14 oz or 398ml)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 tsp chili powder (add more or less depending on taste)
1. Rinse lentils under cold water
2. In a frying pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and peppers and cook until softened (about 5 minutes)
3. Add garlic, tumeric, cumin and black pepper and continue to cook for 1 minute
4. Add tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil.
5. Add lentils and vegetable stock.
6. Transfer to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.
7. Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and chili powder and cook on high for 20 to 30 minutes