Also, that's lettuce from my garden. Yum!
This recipe is adapted from the China Study Cookbook by Leanne Campbell, PhD (2013)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
4 Cloves garlic, diced
1 Bell pepper (any colour)
1/2 cup Zucchini, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1/2 cup Corn
1 cup Pinto beans (dried, soaked and cooked)
1/2 Tbsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Cumin
1 can Tomato sauce
Herbamare to taste
1.5 cups Brown Rice (can be substituted for quinoa)
2 cups Lettuce
1 cup Cucumber, sliced
1/2 Bell pepper (any colour), sliced
1 Tomato, sliced
1 Avocado, sliced
Black Pepper, to taste
Balsamic Vinegar, to taste (or you can use italian dressing)
*really anything goes for the salad: kale, cabbage, cooked beets, etc.
1. Heat olive oil in large stock pot and cook onion and garlic over medium heat until browned.
2. Cook rice.
3. Add bell pepper, carrot, and zucchini and continue to cook until softened.
4. Add cooked beans, corn, tomato sauce, oregano, thyme, chili powder, black pepper, cumin and salt. Bring to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes. Add water if needed.
5. While beans and rice cook, make salad.
6. Serve beans over the rice and top with the salad.