As many people overindulge during the holidays they are looking for recipes to start the New Year that contain healthy ingredients.
With that in mind, I have partnered with California Prune Board to create a recipe to help you start your day in a healthy, filling, and nourishing way.
Some of the ingredients I’ve included are:
- Walnuts- protein and omega 3
- Almonds- protein and calcium
- Oats- fibre
- Prunes- fibre and potassium
- Molasses- calcium
- Hemp seeds- omega 3 and protein
This is a protein and fibre rich granola to help carry you through until the next time you eat- keeping you feeling full and satisfied and avoiding grazing throughout the day. Grazing throughout the day can lead both adults and kids to not eat their meals, in addition, the foods that people often chose to graze on are typically packaged, processed foods.
This granola also includes bone-building ingredients such as prunes! Did you know that prunes aren’t only a source of fibre, but they also help slow bone loss when you include one daily serving of 5 prunes (1). The prunes are a great way to add some natural sweetness as well.
So, with that I wish you all a very happy, healthy 2019. Hope you enjoy the recipe.
2 cups Oats (I use Rolled Oats)
1.5 cups Walnuts/Pecans
½ cup Sliced Almonds
½ Tbsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Cardamom
1 cup Prunes
¾ cup Water
3 Tbsp Almond Butter
¼ tsp Salt
¼ cup Hemp Seeds
¼ cup Shredded Coconut
1 Tbsp Molasses
- Process walnuts and pecans in a bowl until ground but not powdery.
- Mix ground nuts, oats, sliced almonds, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, hemp seeds, and shredded coconut together in a large bowl.
- Blend prunes and water together in a food processor until a paste forms.
- Add in Almond butter and Molasses and continue to blend until combined.
- Add prune mixture into oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Press down the mixture on a silicone baking sheet.
- Bake at 325F for 20 minutes.
- Break apart into bite-sized pieces and store in an airtight container.
Looking for more recipes to start the New Year with? Contact Jill, Nurture The Future’s Registered Dietitian at firstname.lastname@example.org