2 cups Flour (I use my all purpose gluten free mix that you can find here )
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp allspice
1/2 cup sugar (I use granulated)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup currants
1 Tbsp ground flax 3 Tbsp water - mixed a left to sit for a few minutes.
1/4 cup non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
1. Mix flour, baking powder, allspice, salt and sugar together in a medium bowl.
2. Mix the ground flax with the water and let sit.
3. Cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture using a pastry knife or 2 knives.
4. Add the non-dairy milk into the flax mixture.
5. Add the flax mixture into the flour mixture and blend.
6. Stir in the currants.
7. Gather the dough into a ball. Place it on a well floured parchment paper or clean counter and using a rolling pin, roll until it is 1/4 inch thick.
8. Use a round cookie cutter (about 2 inches) and cut out welsh cakes until all of the dough is used up.
9. Heat a frying pan (I use a cast iron) with avocado oil until hot. Fry welsh cakes until lightly golden brown on one side, then flip and cook the other side until lightly golden brown.
10. Lift out of pan and repeat until all welsh cakes are cooked. Serve warm with jam.
Looking to veganize a family recipe? Contact Jill, Nurture The Future's Registered Dietitian at firstname.lastname@example.org